Summer Reading 2016
- Summer reading is free and open to students entering or in middle or high school.
- Register for summer reading by filling out the registration form and turning it in to the children’s room for one entry in to the raffle! (one per person for 2016)
- Each time you visit the APL, you can be entered in to a weekly drawing for a prize! Just stop by the children’s room desk and ask for a raffle ticket, fill it out and leave it with the librarian. (one per day)
- Participate in our book challenge to receive another raffle ticket! Just see the librarian at the children’s room desk for the book challenge form. Can you help us reach our goal of 200 books read by the last week in July?!
- Want to earn even more raffle entries? Write a book review and turn it in to the children’s room librarian. Each book review gets you another entry! Reviews should be 3 paragraphs or less. (one per day)
- Attend a summer reading program, get one entry in to the raffle! (one per person per program attended)
- Don’t forget to check out our photo booth in the children’s room, hashtag your photo booth pictures or pics of what you are reading to #APLSummerreading2016
Summer Reading Programs:
Youth entering grades 7-12 are invited to join the library’s Summer Video Club. Participants will work together to create a video about a local organization. Along they way they will learn interviewing, communication, video recording and editing skills. Participants must be able to make the majority of the sessions in order to register. Parents or legal guardians will be required to sign a waiver allowing their child to appear on camera, if this is not possible the child may still participate but will be limited to off camera portions only. The video club will meet from 3:00pm-4:00pm on the following Tuesdays: 6/21/16, 6/28/16, 7/5/16, 7/12/16, 7/19/16 and 7/26/16.
*Space is very limited, please register by visiting the Event Registration page of this website.
Yoga for tweens and teens:
Youth entering grades 5-12 are invited to join us for 3 sessions of yoga provided by a local teacher! Youth are required to register individually for each session they plan to attend. Attending more than one is strongly encouraged! Yoga sessions will take place from 6pm-7pm on the following Wednesday nights: 6/22/16, 6/29/16 and 7/6/16.
*Space is limited, please register by visiting the Event Registration page of this website.
Teen Ropes Course Challenge!
Teens age 13-17 are welcome to join the YMCA and the APL for adventures of the outdoor variety. Scale new heights as you participate in a series of team challenges on our high and low ropes course. As a group, you’ll learn to work together as a team through a series of team-building and relationship develop activities before putting your trust to the test as you support each other on the Climbing Wall, Giant Swing, and maybe even our Double Trapeze Jump. For more information, contact Meghan Hamilton at (508) 409-0755 or email@example.com. *This program is taking place at the YMCA Norton Outdoor Center, 295 West Main Street, Norton, MA from 4:30pm-6:30pm on 7/12/16. Space is VERY limited, registration at the Library’s event registration webpage is required.
Sock Monkeys Middle School Book Club:
Youth entering grades 5-8 are welcome to join us for the middle school book club. This month we will be discussing Mr. Lemoncello’s Library Olympics by Chris Grabenstein. Copies of the book will be available at the children’s room desk in June. Sock Monkeys Book Club will meet on 7/13/16 from 6pm-7pm. Registration is recommended.
A Novel Idea: Teen Book Club
Youth age 13+ are welcome to join us for the teen book club! This month we will be discussing The Leveller by Julia Durango. Copies of the book will be available at the children’s room desk in June. The Teen Book Club will meet on 7/15/16 from 3:30pm-4:30pm. Registration is recommended.
Olympic Themed Summer Reading Party!
Youth entering grades 5-12 are welcome to join us for an Olympic themed end of summer reading party! Come dressed as your favorite Olympic or Sports character…there will be a costume contest! There will also be board games, crafts, snacks and PIZZA!
Registration is required. Please register on the Event Registration page.
Bad Art Creation-
Youth entering grades 5-12 are welcome to join us to make some art! A variety of supplies will be available to chose from, participants can make whatever they can dream up using the supplies. It might not be pretty, but it will be fun! Bad Art Creation is taking place on 7/23/16 from 11am-12pm. Registration is Required.
Here are the lists for 2016!
To find school Summer Reading Lists, check out these resources:
Summer Reading @ the APL is sponsored by the Attleboro Public Library, Friends of the Attleboro Public Library, the Massachusetts Library System, the Boston Bruins & the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.